Friday, February 24, 2012

The Timer - Be more productive and spend time with your kids


1 simple solution to getting more done, staying on task, and fulfilling that simple promise of reading a book (etc.) to your kids and not putting them off all day.

You hear...
 "MOM, mom, MOOOOOM, Mom? Mom!" 
And the Kids hear.... 
"In a minute, Later, Maybe, Not right now, I said later, Yes but not now" 

That's what I hear all day, and unfortunately that's also what my kids hear sometimes as well. Its not that I wouldn't love to drop what I'm doing and color with them, read a book, play super hero's etc - That's what being a fun mom is all about! But I also need to balance and complete sweeping the kitchen, unloading and sorting the groceries, folding the laundry and everything else on my list. 

By the time the day goes by, I'm so tired that I've moved on to the bedtime routine, the kids go to sleep- eventually, and then I remember - I never read them the pirate book they asked me to. It would have taken me 5 minutes and yet I kept putting them off. Bad mother of the day award goes to me. 

Here is a solution, this was old, tried and true, inspiration given to me and tested by my Mom and Sister in Law:
 Setting The Timer

That's right, who knew that setting a timer could bring world peace, or at least a little more sanity!

I need 30 minutes to put the groceries away, wipe down the counters and get the dishes into the dishwasher and start it. My 5 year old wants me to help him with his color and activity book NOW. 

You might be thinking - Just help him! But all I want is just to finish something without interruption -I know I'm not the only one! I don't feel guilty about feeling this way either!

If I tell him "in a minute" he will be asking me EVERY single minute if I'm done and when I'm going to help him.

Instead I set the timer for 30 minutes. That sounds like a long time for a kid to wait, but he can watch the minutes go down and he knows not to bug me until he hears the beep. This works for younger kids to, my 2 year old gets it as well. He has plenty to do during that time. I commit to myself that when the beep goes off I will stop what I'm doing and give him my undivided attention. 

You MUST not give in and secretly add minutes to the timer. 

The other win-win, is that you are racing to get what you need done, maybe if you give yourself less time you will get more done faster! Make it fun!

Another example:
"Mom, when is dinner ready?"
"In 5 minutes, I'm setting the timer, when you hear the beep you can come sit at the table"

This method saves you from the "MOM, mom, MOOOOOM, Mom? Mom!" and your kids gain more trust in you, that you will follow through with their requests! You can use this for simple things for even when you need 5 minutes to do something simple.

 For this to work you MUST follow through on your part if you expect them to wait. If my kids start "momming" me before the beep sounds I just remind them the timer hasn't beeped yet. 

I have been using this all week and our house has been so much more peaceful and happy for everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment