Monday, October 17, 2011

Crock Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Last year I often made loaded baked potato soup on the stove. I sauteed my carrots and celery, baked my potato's, melted butter, whisked in the cream, cream cheese, and so on - It tasted Fabulous - And it took FOREVER!


As my sons first year of soccer, with practices/games right before dinner time- coming home after and making dinner felt like slave work. I want to come home and eat, not stand another hour over a hot stove. I love cooking but not on soccer days!


I set out to find some worthy crock pot recipes that don't taste like they were made in the crock pot - I found one HERE, (Really great blog) But it still needed some tweaking and so I added my spin and came up with some fabulous options and flavors!

Crock Pot
Loaded Baked Potato Soup

(This is a big recipe - I used my 7 quart crock pot, if you don't have a large one I would half the recipe)


You can pick and choose your toppings and "Stir-ins"
Lots of options = Lots of Awesome Deliciousness!
Ingredients:
1 30oz. Bag of frozen, SHREDDED hash browns
3 14oz. Cans of chicken broth  OR  5 and 1/4 cups of water and 3 crumbled bullion cubes
1 Can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup Onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. Black pepper
1 pkg. Regular cream cheese - Fat free doesn't melt - Considering how much soup this makes one package of cream cheese really isn't that much per serving.

Possible Toppings:
Cooked, Crumbled Bacon
Chopped Green Onion
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream

Possible Stir-ins about 1 hour before serving:
1 tiny can of diced green chillies
Cooked, chopped ham
2 baked potatoes, skins removed and diced
1/4 to a 1/2 pound of cooked, drained, Italian or sage ground sausage

Directions:
All ingredients except the cream cheese go into the crock pot.  Stir, to combined all together evenly.  Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8. Cube up the cream cheese and throw in 1 hour before serving (don't forget about any "Stir-ins' you may want to add in as well). ***See Recommendation Below***When serving, top with your desired toppings.

*****I like a smooth potato soup, so I used my immersion stick blender, directly in the crock pot, and blended it for a few seconds before serving it up. If you don't have an immersion blender - no worries - the soup can be served as is and it is good. If you like potato chunks in your soup - I highly recommend adding the diced baked potato an hour before serving.******

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. New follower sent over by Sarah at BradyCakes... this recipe looks delicious! This is definitely something I am going to try this Winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup was amazing! And super easy too! I had given this link to so many people to try! Sarah at Bradycakes recommended it and I am so happy she did!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great To hear Debbi! Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete