Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Moms Workout Relay


I've done the videos at home, I've considered the evening aerobics classes at the gym but those require arranging babysitting with my husband and money. For a while my boys were small enough to fit in my double jogger and I pushed 120 pounds around the park lap after lap....

Now one of my boys is over 50 pounds and way to tall to fit in my jogging stroller. My other son still fits but has better things to do than sit in a jogger despite my bribes.

My boys also wake up at 6 AM. At one point I was so desperate to exercise alone that I was waking up at 430 AM to jog on my treadmill before they woke up. That didn't last long....are you surprised?

Doing the videos at home worked out for a while, again, had to do them before the boys woke up. If i tried to do the video while they were awake, every time I went to do a push up or crunches it was an invitation to sit or lay on mom. Not cool.

So I reached the point where I couldn't even go walking with the boys in tow....we did try having my son ride his bike and the other in the stroller - NEVER AGAIN. I ended up sprinting a half mile after my 5 year old screaming (sounded like a pathetic whisper) "SLOW DOWN! STOP! WAIT"

That whole talk before the family walk of "stay with mom" "don't go more than this far away from me" yeah, that meant nothing.

I have 2 other friends in the same situation, feeling defeated. Both have 3 kids each, all under the age of 4...WOW...we all sat around at the park as the kids played and discussed our desire to workout and all our failed attempts....Then it hit me....

Mommy Workout Relay!
Its worked quite well for everyone - Mommies, Kids, and your wallet

We have done this with 3 moms but it works just as well with just 2.  It can work with more than 3 also. Here's what we did:

Brought all our kids to the park to play (park had a path/track that goes around it)
Babies stayed in jogging strollers.
The relay consisted of  3 laps around the track with floor exercises in between each lap. All of the exercises are done at the playground so the kids are always being supervised by someone.

This is how we did it:
Mommy #1 Starts first lap around the track walking or jogging
Mommy #2 Starts floor exercises, then once Mommy #1 gets to the 1/2 mark around track Mommy #2 starts 1st lap
Mommy #3 Starts floor exercises when mommy #2 starts her first lap.
By the time Mommy #3 is done with floor exercises, Mommy #1 is back from her lap.
Mommy #1 starts floor exercises
Mommy#3 starts 1st lap
When Mommy #1 finishes exercises, Mommy #2 is back to start 2nd set of exercises. 
Mommy #1 starts second Lap
And so forth....

Each person does 3 laps with exercises in between.
Some of the exercises we did after each lap are:

(The following is an example of what we did, you can put together your own workout however it suits you and your needs. Most of our exercises came from Pinterest and our favorite Jillian Michael's DVDs.)

1st set
50 jumping jacks
40 Squats
30 Crunches
20 push-ups

2nd set
40 lunges
30 squats
30 crunches
10 push-ups
10 burpees

3rd set
20 Crunches using 10# kettle bell or medicine ball
50 High knees, with elbows crossing over to reach opposite knee
40 Mountain climbers
10 push-ups
20 squats

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment